October 2020 = final Squares challenge of 2020.
The theme this month is KIND. Becky suggests we use the following for ideas:
- Something of the kind (mirror images, carbon copies and doubles)
- Our imagination kindled (inspire us!)
- Of its kind (a unique object or could be a picture of nature and wildlife)
- Kindred spirits (kindness in action or photographs of people)
- Take kindly to (something you like such as my Warbler on Sunday or Ellie’s cheese)
I am going to join in with 31 entries this month, but I might need to combine a few days. Let’s see how it goes.
Here is day 1: Store Windows
A kind Lady:
And this month I also want to do a little reflecting – and so for day one – I have a short story that has kindness – I shared it on my blog years ago and it is time to share again. It is an excerpt from The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros:
Bums in the Attic
I want a house on a hill like the ones with the gardens where Papa works. We go on Sundays, Pap’s day of. I used to go. I don’t anymore. You don’t like to go out with us, Papa says. Getting too old? Getting too stuck-up, says Nenny. I don’t tell them I’m ashamed—all of us staring out the window like we’re hungry. I am tired of looking at what we can’t have. When we win the lottery… Mama begins, and then I stop listening.
People who live on hills sleep so close to the stars they forget those of us who live too much on earth. They don’t look down at all except to be content to live on hills. They have nothing to do with last week’s garbage or fear of rats. Night comes. Nothing wakes them but the wind.
One day I’ll own my own house, but I won’t forget who I am or where I cam from. Passing bums will ask, Can I come in?
I’ll offer them the attic, ask them to stay, because I know how it is to be without a house.
Some days after dinner, guests and I will sit in front of a fire.
Floorboards will squeak upstairs. The attic grumble.
Rats? they’ll ask.
Bums, I’ll say, and I’ll be happy.
Care to join in with the squares this month?
Here is some info:
- Take a square photograph of something that reflects the theme
- Create your post for any day in October, and pingback to one of my daily squares
- Include the theme’s tag – #KindaSquare
- Leave a comment and link on Becky’s blog (here)
- Make time to visit others and check out the square galleries