The squares for days #25 & 26 relate to things that I love for health.
First, journaling is such a balancing and centering activity for me.
Also, for physical wellness – I highly recommend every household keep some “bitters” on hand. Or try this “bitters and ginger” formula. I keep a small amount in my purse at all times. It has come in handy
Did you know that in our culture we do not have enough bitter items in our diet? We tend to have way too much “sweet” in our culture – and usually plenty of salty (but sadly the processed kind)- we likely could use more sour, and need more umami, and definitely need more bitter.
Did you know that bitters under the tongue can calm the body and maybe even stop a seizure? Well I invite you to check out some of this info on your own, but I can testify that digestive bitters are absolutely amazing – they can help jet lag, heat stress, fatigue, and more
Thanks for reading –
If you want to read more – do your own search about this topic – and here is some info that I found (here) about general bitters:
10 BENEFITS OF BITTERS
- Improves protein digestion and mineral absorption
- Improves breakdown of fats and fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K
- Reduce gas and bloating
- Relieve occasional heartburn
- Promote regular bowel movements
- Reduce food sensitivities
- Breakdown microbes and prevent SIBO & yeast overgrowth
- In Ayurvedic tradition, bitters are known to reduce sweet cravings and regulate blood sugar
- In Chinese medicine, bitters are cooling and remove “heat” from the body (aka inflammation)
- Eclectics promote digestive bitters for improved detoxification, healthy skin, improved joint pain and healthy mood.
From here, I found a few more benefits of “swedish bitters”
- Increase digestive enzymes, bile & HCL production
- Calm upset stomach and nausea
- Promote absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K
- Help maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- Balance appetite
- Ease constipation and regulate bowel movements
- Support liver function and healthy skin
- Improve biliary, pancreatic and gastric secretion
Bitters can help a hangover — or if you are feeling run down and recovering from anything – this liquid gold is an elixir. I suggest keeping a bottle on hand – all that is needed is a few drops at a time so a bottle lasts a while.
So…. Do you like bitters?
Care to join in with the #kindasquare this month?
The theme is KIND and you can find out more at Becky’s blog (here).