When I was visiting my cousins in Tampa, FL last February – we had so much fun.
While there, we were getting socks and soap from a local store (yeah, socks and soap- ha). I saw a magazine with Led Zeppelin on the cover.
Then I thought of blogger Clive because we were just comment chatting about the band that week.
Clive is a huge Led Zeppelin fan….
Screen shot from Clive’s blog:
Here are a few tidbits about my take on Led Zeppelin:
- I grew up with their music already being a little “dated” – but I still enjoyed triple shot weekends with three Zeppelin songs in a row.
- My cousin “A” was an artist and she painted Stairway to Heaven (cover) as a mural on her wall. I remember being kind of scared by it. It covered the whole wall.
- My first memory with a Led Zeppelin song is from sixth grade. I asked my friend, Robin, if she knew a song that went like this: “Oh oh oh oh oh oh, You don’t have to go, oh oh oh oh oh, You don’t have to go…” She had absolutely NO idea of what I was referring to (she was into Billy Joel and Barry Manilow).
- Another memory I have from Led Zeppelin is with Paul B. and my cousin R, when we were singing the first line (an ear worm) to Kashmir: “Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face; With stars to fill my dreams.”
- I tried to pick my favorite song from the band by looking over the list at Song Facts HERE; however, it was too difficult to choose. These three are in my top ten: Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away, and Immigrant song.
I chose to end this post with Going to California. It is such a beautiful song all around. I have lived in California three different times (at very different life stages) and so that is part of the connection. Also, the whole idea of going to Cali (with an aching in the heart) and the going west theme with a “mountain of dreams” feels so hopeful.
“The sea was red and the sky was grey
Wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today…”
Okay, – what about you?
Are you (or were you) a Led Zeppelin fan? If so, what is a your top song or memory?
Have you seen any good magazine covers lately?
thanks to everyone for adding some fun comments –
Wanted to share some fun links that came in related to LZ and the way this band trickled into the world (might add ore as they come in)
GRETA VAN FLEET
- Linda shared this link with Robert Plant sharing his take on the LZ sound-a-like band called Greta van Fleet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePIAaQwYMaM (Plant noted that Fleet actually got their start based on Aerosmith…)
- Linda shared about Greta van Fleet doing Highway Tune (here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co
- And here’s Great van Fleet doing Immigrant Song in concert
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
- Stairway to heaven Check out this clip from Wayne’s World where “No Stairway to heaven” was allowed to be played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f13FY94BKI
- Jack Black’s Tenacious D’s Creates Song in the World TRBUTE here.
***Note- Priorhouse is on a short blog break. This is a scheduled post- I will be back to check in here closer to the end of the month****