Hello readers, Today I am joining Mischenko @ReadRantRock&Roll with Shabby Sunday Vintage Book shares.
The first book is “You Can’t Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought” (1988, 1995) by Peter McWilliams. If you like quotes, this book is for you. Almost every page has a quote that relates to the theme or topic McWilliams is writing about. The pages are filled with advice about thinking, processing, dealing with society, coping with illness, defining success, etc.
Next up is a book I only skimmed at a used book store. I grabbed a photo of it just in case I wanted to order it online later (but at the time I had enough books “on writing” from a different shopping trip that week. But then I ended up giving those books to my cousin —who is getting into writing– when we went to visit them in Tampa). Either way, this book stood out enough for me to grab a photo, but not enough to buy.
I am sharing this book here because I was visiting MythRider last month and this post here had good points about the value of reading “how to write” books. Mythrider noted that by reading these books, “writers keep an ongoing stream of tips coming in” and even seasoned writers might benefit from skimming some fresh ideas from these books (or not). I know that I like skimming a variety of “how-to-write” books because they are so different. Here is a quote from MythRider on this topic:
“Continual learning is one of the best ways to improve my writing. No single How-To-Write book can cover everything. There are many great books to read and many are worth reading more than once. Start a library of How-to-Write books of your own. That way the books are always available when you need them.” ~Myth Rider
Go here to join Shabby Sunday: https://readrantrockandroll.com/2022/03/27/shabby-sunday-the-big-book-of-favorite-horse-stories-1965-1985-p-c-braun-sam-savitt-book-review-vintagebooks-shabbysunday-horsestories/
Closing Notes –
- Mabel Kwong will be featured for the May 2022 Priorhouse Interview.
- If you missed it – Marsha’s April story chat (here) featured a CAPTIVATING short story from Anne Goodwin (Website: annegoodwin.weebly.com)
- For anyone who enjoys the popular April A to Z Challenge – I have enjoyed three very interesting takes on that challenge: 1) Paula Light has been featuring Eagles’ songs: https://lightmotifs.wordpress.com/2022/04/28/x-tra-eagles-trivia-a2z/ and 2) Kat is featuring Winnie the Pooh quotes and wisdom: https://katcarpita.wordpress.com/2022/04/21/n-is-for-nothing-atozchallenge/ and 3) There is a blogger featuring awesome Youtube videos (I will be back to add the link).
- If you like Led Zeppelin – please check out this mid-April Priorhouse post here– and chime in if you can…. This post was a highlight of the month for me (in the blog world that is…) and I think I am going to celebrate LZ on April 15th every year.
- Also, on that Led Zeppelin post, Linda shared about the band Great Van Fleet and I had to share this awesome song from them (check out the B-3 organ – hubs was liking that) – I actually heard this song a while back on “Richmond’s alternative radio” (after a Sean McConnell song) driving home one night – it is such a jam: